Keeping Your Beautiful New Smile


“About 3 years ago I had braces and was very pleased with the results after the 2 year period.  I was so pleased with my new smile that I decided I didn’t need to wear my retainer.  Now my teeth are moving and I wish I had worn my retainer.”  Does this sound familiar? 

The retention phase of your treatment is equally as important as was your active phase with braces or aligners.  Teeth, bones, and gums are all living tissues and changes do occur throughout our lives.  The retention phase helps to control the tooth changes to maintain your new beautiful smile.  The type and style of retainers have been designed for you and may be different from another patient.

The important thing to remember is to follow closely the guidelines for wearing your retainers.  Wear them as directed and be faithful in doing so.  Remember to keep your retainer check appointments so that Dr. Stevenson can monitor your retainer wear and watch for any minor tooth movement.

Special care needs to be taken to maintain the integrity and cleanliness of the retainer and the teeth.  Fixed retainers require care when biting into hard foods.  Avoid biting straight into raw carrots or crisp apples. Floss daily around the retainer.  If the retainer comes loose on any of the teeth, please call the office the next business day so we may reattach it.  Teeth may move if the retainer is out too long.  Keep the removable retainer clean by brushing it with a toothbrush and toothpaste each time you brush your teeth (2 to 3 times per day).  If you should lose the removable retainer, call the office as soon as possible so that a new one can be made for you.

Remember that wearing your retainers every day and night as directed by your orthodontist is your best assurance that your beautiful new smile will last a lifetime!

Comments

Popular Posts